Mine didn't turn out looking like a fudgey bar cookie as hers did...another one of my cooking adventures that possibly produced something different! Mine were more like a rich candy that reminded me more of a brittle. I think I could have cooked the sugar for a few seconds too long, and that's why, or perhaps it's because I used Earth Balance instead of butter. It was however, awesome!
It only takes a few ingredients to make this out of the ordinary, gluten free dessert:
- 1 cup sugar (I used Sugar in the Raw)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tea ground cardamom (I didn't have ground, so I used my mortar and pestle to convert the whole seeds)
- 3/4 cup butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 2 cups Besan/Chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- * 2 additional Tbl of chopped pistachios for the garnish
|I used my mortar and pestle to make my whole cardamom into ground.|
|This is before it has gotten to the boiling point.|
|This is after about 7 minutes of boiling.|
3. Add your pistachios and blend. Then add the slightly cooled syrup mixture. Stir well and pour into a buttered 8x8 glass pan. Sprinkle with extra pistachios. Let it set for 15 minutes and cut. As I said, mine turned out differently than Bal's, and I will try this recipe again to see the difference. It may have been my cooking method, or it may be that I used a butter substitute instead of real butter, but it was a delicious treat all the same!
Please let me know if you give this a try, I'd love to know how it turns out! What other gluten-free treats do you love? Hope you have a blessed day!