Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Natural cleaning supplies from your garden, fruit bowl and essential oils

  
  Cleaning supplies...what a lovely subject!  Well, we have to try to keep our homes germ and dirt free, so we may as well try to use natural things instead of all the harsh chemicals that abound from the store bought stuff.  I must admit, I am slowly coming around to using natural stuff, as it is so convenient to go to the store and pick it up off the shelf.  However, now that my schedule allows for more creative time, I decided to start making cleaning supplies as well as all the health and beauty products that I love to make.
  I have always made the standard sink scrubs of baking soda and lemon, I clean the bathroom sinks using borax and clove oil, and I use lemon oil to clean my hardwood floors.  I've done that for years, but to replace my all-purpose cleaner and glass cleaner, I had to make something new.


I added fresh orange peel and sage from our garden to white vinegar.



  This is so simple, and it smells so nice!  I let the herbs and peel infuse the vinegar for 3 weeks.  Then after I strained the liquid, I used it to clean my windows, mirrors and counter tops.  It gave a nice, clean scent that wasn't overly "vinegary".
  I thought I needed a stronger all purpose cleaner for the bathrooms and the rest of the kitchen, so I created a spray bottle consisting of:
  • 1 Tbl. Borax
  • 1/2 Tbl Castille soap
  • 8 drops of sweet orange essential oil
  • 8 drops of lavender essential oil
  • 10 drops of lemon essential oil
  • 2 cups of distilled water (I recommend some kind of filtered water unless you will use it all right away, in that case it can be tap water).

  That's it!  So easy, inexpensive, and healthier for our environment!  I am now experimenting with some other fresh herbs from the garden, adding them to baking soda, borax and salt.  I will let you know how that goes.  Do you have a favorite recipe for homemade cleaners?  Please let me know!

  Enjoy a blessed day,
  Joanna

No comments:

Post a Comment