Friday, July 26, 2013

Homemade citrus, gelatin gummies

 
  I've never been a big gummy candy fan, the consistency is just kind of weird to me.  However, I love Sour Patch Kids, especially the yellow, lemon ones.  I remembered in the days when my kids were little, and we used to make jello jigglers.  We used to always make green, lime dinosaurs and train engines using Jello and cookie cutters.  I wondered if I could follow the same principle, and try to make some lemony, sour gummies.  The end result was good, but not as sour as I would have liked.  I think next time I will go with less honey, and more lemon!

I had some Pampered Chef cutters, and I found my husband's aspic cutters.


  It was really easy to make.  I simply took 3 packs of the gelatin, added 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup lime juice, 1/4 cup honey, and about 4 drops of orange extract.  Then you whisk and pour into a glass dish to set in the refrigerator, I put mine in the freezer because I was impatient.







The aspic cutters were smaller, so I chose a simple shape.








 Cut the desired shapes, and it's ready to eat.  Like I said, I am not a big fan of gummy things, but I knew that consuming real gelatin would be good for my nails and my hair.  I loved the citrus flavor, but I will try it next time with maybe a tablespoon more of the lemon, and one less of the honey.  I know that Sour Patch Kids have a sour coating, that I won't be able to replicate, but this was a fun experiment!  Happy snacking, and enjoy a blessed day!

Joanna



No comments:

Post a Comment