Monday, July 15, 2013

Summer's easiest Strawberry Pie

  I don't think there is a dessert out there that satisfies like a homemade pie!  When summer offers beautiful fruits, the number one request from my boys is to make pie!  I recently made a wonderful cherry pie, and 2 days later this delicious strawberry pie.  Needless to say, pie makes for happy teenagers!

This strawberry pie is so quick and easy to make! ( Sometimes we top it with whipped cream).

  I know it's not that hard to make homemade crusts, but sometimes you just wanna focus on prepping the fruit, and let Pillsbury make the crust for you!  
  •  9" Pillsbury frozen crust, or your own homemade crust
  • 1 quart of fresh strawberries
  • 1 cup sugar (I use Sugar in the Raw)
  • 3 Tbls. cornstarch
  • 3/4 cup water
How's this for a simple ingredient list?!  Bake the crust according to directions, then prepare the berries.

  • Start by slicing and arranging some berries on the pie crust.
  • Then add the remaining berries to a stockpot and mash together with the sugar


  
I like to save a few berries to add back after I mash the others.  It just adds a little texture.




  • Cook until it's bubbly 
  • Add the cornstarch to the water in a small bowl and mix well
  • Gradually stir the cornstarch mixture into your pot of berries
  • Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until thickened nicely
  • Pour the mixture over the berry topped crust
  • Let chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours before cutting




  That's all there is to it!  Of course, this isn't a gluten free crust, so I couldn't have any of this pie.  (I did taste the filling though).  I have yet to find a gluten free pie crust recipe that I like, and as far as I know, there isn't a ready made one.  I will keep trying different crust recipes and let you know if I find a good one.

  Even if I can't have some of the things that I make, I enjoy making them for my family.  I hope you will try this recipe and let me know how it goes!

Have a blessed day, 
Joanna

No comments:

Post a Comment