Monday, July 22, 2013

Homemade antibiotic skin cream


Creamy antibiotic (excuse the pic of Thai Basil in background :)
  I love having this home remedy available, as we usually will have a need for it.  Have you ever had a cut, skin irritation, or infection that you wanted to coat with something soothing?  Well, this is my favorite way to make such a soothing cream.  I am not a doctor, nor a professional in the healing field, so use your own judgement when treating your condition.
  For minor cuts, skin irritation from eczema or dermatitis, or minor infection (redness, soreness) on skin, this cream works nicely.  Please make sure you clean the skin before applying this, as it will heal quickly! Some examples of when my family has used this:  to prevent infections, and treat the sting of dog or cat scratches, to treat and protect from cuticle tears or hangnails, irritation on hands from contact irritants, eczema, and bug bites.  *Some herbal books say Chamomile can cause contact dermatitis to those who may be allergic to this kind of weed herb...so use sparingly until you find out, we have never had a problem with it! 

  •   Start by making an Olive oil tincture with Chamomile flowers, and Burdock Root.  I used 2 Tbls of each in 1/3 cup Extra virgin olive oil.  I set the jar in a sunny window for 5 weeks.  Then strain...
After 5 weeks in the sun.

Strain the mixture and discard the herbs (make sure to mash the herbs and get every drop)




  •  Now you need to mix 1/4 cup of the oil mixture with 1/2 cup coconut oil, and 1/4 beeswax.  Melt over a double boiler (I use a glass bowl over my pot, just don't let the bowl sit in the water).
  • After you remove from the heat, add 15 drops of Lavender, 5 drops of Clary Sage, and 4 drops of Vitamin E oil

    Stir until all melted.



  • Put the mixture into you refrigerator for about 2 hours, then remove and mix with your mixer.
  • Whip until you get a nice, buttery consistency, then store in glass jars.  During the summer months it is important to keep the mixture cool so that it doesn't melt or separate.  If you find that a counter top isn't cool enough, keep in the fridge.  I have mine on my bathroom counter, and it is doing fine, but some of my family like to keep it in the fridge.


  I hope you like this easy, all-natural way to treat minor skin irritations.  Let me know if you give it a try!  Many blessings,  Joanna





No comments:

Post a Comment