Saturday, July 20, 2013

Chicken stock/bone broth made with all leftovers

  I just wanted to share my simple way of getting the most out of a whole chicken.  Once we had eaten most of the roasted whole chicken, I froze what was left of the carcass.  For a couple of weeks, I bagged and froze the ends of all of our celery, carrots, onions and garlic.
  I added all of the veggie scraps along with the chicken carcass to my crock pot.  I added enough water to cover it, then cooked it on low for 12 hours.  Then I strained it and put it in leftover glass jars.  Now we have fresh chicken stock/bone broth for whenever we need it.  It made a little over 3 quarts.  I used what didn't fit in the jars to make some rice, then froze the rest to pull out and use as needed.
  So easy, and a good way to make stock basically for free!  Have you ever tried making other types of stock?  I'd love to hear about it.  Wishing you a blessed day, Joanna.

No comments:

Post a Comment