Thursday, July 25, 2013

Home canning-Chow Chow

I love canning with an old, traditional recipe.
 
Chow-Chow
  You can't beat a pot of beans, hot Southern chow-chow, and cornbread!  This is the first time that I made enough chow-chow to can.  I usually just make a quick refrigerator version.  Since I am loving canning this summer, I got out the old church cookbooks of all of mine and my husband's grandmothers, and picked one that sounded good.
  You will need the following ingredients to make 6 pints (this is half of the recipe):
Beautiful colors!
  • a medium sized head of cabbage
  • 4 red bell peppers
  • 4 green bell peppers
  • 3 white onions
  • 2 hot peppers
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 1 Tbl. mustard seed
  • 1 Tnsp. celery seed
  • 1 tsp. turmeric powder
  • 3 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar


  We used the food processor to grind all the vegetables...we have it so much easier than our grandparents, who had to grind/grate by hand!  You sprinkle the salt over the vegetables, and  refrigerate overnight.
  The next day, drain and squeeze out all the water.

 Pot for sterilizing jars, canner, and Le Creuset for cooking vegetables.


  Mix all ingredients, except the turmeric, and bring to a boil.  Cook for about 15 minutes until the vegetables look transparent.  Add the turmeric and stir well.  Pack the mixture into sterilized jars and seal.  Process in canner for 10 minutes.

  Let me know if you try this recipe from 1962.  I'm sure that the recipe is probably the same for centuries.  I know my grandma's had books older than this, and I wish I had the handwritten papers that I saw them use when  I was little.  Do you have a favorite recipe?  I would love to hear about it, be sure to leave a comment.  Have a blessed day,
 Joanna

No comments:

Post a Comment