Monday, June 24, 2013

Natural toothpaste and mouthwash

  Whenever we would spend summers with Papa and Granny in the NC mountains, they would always try to get us to use natural ways to brush our teeth.  We would chew on a branch from a black gum tree, as Granny said she had done as a child in the 1920-30's.  I always thought that the toothpaste wasn't good, especially because I was using a bubblegum/minty store bought one.  But I learned to appreciate the simple and pure ingredients as I became an adult.  Granny always put a cinnamon stick in a jar of baking soda.  I adapted that a little bit, and here is the easy alternative.  Enjoy!

  •   a sanitized glass jar (I used the empty, blue glass jar that probiotics come in)
  • fill it half full with baking soda
  • add 2-3 drops of cinnamon essential oil along with 1 stick of cinnamon
  • add 1-2 drops of clove essential oil
  • shake to mix well
  • dip your dry  toothbrush in it and brush
 For the mouthwash, it is just as easy. Grandmama always insisted on mouthwash and used Listerine twice a day.  She always had great teeth!  I prefer the taste of this one that I love to make.



  • sanitized glass jar (I use an empty, clear glass jar that spices come it)
  • fill the jar 3/4 full of distilled water
  • add 2-3 drops of tea tree oil
  • add 2-3 drops peppermint essential oil
  • add 1-2 drops lavender essential oil
  • shake jar to mix and use a mouthful to rinse and gargle after brushing
Your mouth will feel so clean and fresh, and all of these oils have antibacterial qualities too.  I use a store bought toothpaste with fluoride, either Tom's of Maine, or Burt's Bees, a few times a week.  I do this because we have un- fluoridated well water, and I have never made a paste with re-mineralizing components.  You can however make one if you wish, WellnessMama has a good recipe that adds these  ingredients.

Sometimes when we are younger, we don't want to listen to the wisdom of our elders.  It may have taken me a while to appreciate it, but thanks goes to my Southern Grandparents for planting the seeds that would eventually grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment