Thursday, August 15, 2013

Gingerbread pancakes...gluten free


  If there is one thing that I truly miss now that I can't have gluten, it's desserts, and biscuits.  O.K. that's two things.  I have been missing comfort desserts, especially those I associate with my favorite time of year...fall. I wasn't satisfied with any of the gluten free gingerbread  or gingerbread cookie recipes that I found. ( I still haven't' found a pumpkin bread recipe that can rival the awesome one I used to make with white and wheat flours).  But low and behold...I found a recipe for gluten free, vegan gingerbread pancakes, and they taste like a decadent dessert!
  I found this recipe from Babycakes.  I bought the cookbook Babycakes Covers the Classics and can't wait to try many of the other recipes!  This one wasn't hard to make, it just took a while to make all the small pancakes.  But once I was done, I ate a few, shared a few, and still had some to stick in the freezer for later.
  As I've said before, sometimes I make substitutions if I don't have all that  recipe calls for.  It turned out great, but I will let you know what I changed from the original.
The batter is somewhat thicker than "traditional" batter.

Flip once they start to bubble.










  • 2 cups all-purpose gluten free baking powder
  • 2 teas. baking soda
  • 2 teas. baking powder
  • 1 Tbls. ground ginger
  • 1 teas. ground cinnamon
  • 1 teas salt
  • 1/2 xanthan gum
  • 1/4 teas. ground cardamom( I had to use my mortar and pestle to grind some)
  • 1/4 teas. ground cloves
  • 2/3 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
  • 1/3 agave
  • 1/3 cup molasses
  • 2/3 cup rice milk (I didn't have any so I used coconut milk)
  • 2 Tbls. vanilla extract
  1. Whisk flour, soda, powder, ginger, cinnamon, salt, xanthan gum, cardamom, and cloves together in a bowl.
  2. Add applesauce, coconut oil, agave, molasses, milk, and vanilla and stir until smooth.
  3. Heat a pan over medium heat, spray with nonstick spray and pour about 1/4 of batter at a time into skillet.  (I fit 3 at a time onto my skillet)>
  4. Cook until the pancake bubbles, and browns then flip.  Cook until it feels firm.


  These are so delicious...thanks Babycakes!  Do you have a favorite gluten free dessert recipe?  I'd love to hear about it.  As always, if you've found a good one for biscuits, please let me know!
Blessings,
Joanna

No comments:

Post a Comment